Dr. Taofeek Oladiran Folami
DoB: 21 August 1962 , Male, Married, State of Origin – Lagos State;
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Fellow, Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers (FNSChe).
- PhD Chemical Process Control (1989): University of Aston in Birmingham, UK.
- MSc Process Analysis and Development (1984): University of Aston in Birmingham, UK
- BSc Chemical Engineering (1983): North East London Polytechnic, UK.
- A-Levels (1980): Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics: Hurtwood House, Dorking, Surrey, UK.
- O-Levels (1978): Baptist Academy, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Primary School (1973): ADRAO International School, Victoria Island, Lagos.
- 2015 – Present: Principal Partner: Nasni Consultants Limited.
- 2011 – 2015: Special Adviser to the Governor on The Environment, Lagos State.
- 2008 – 2012: Chairman, Governing Board, Lagos Waste Management Authority.
- 1995 – 1997: BureauFax Technologies Limited, Head of the Software Group.
- 1997 – Present: Principal Partner: TOF Engineers & Consulting Limited.
- 1989 – 1995: Nuclear Electric Plc, UK – Software Analyst / Engineer.
- Public Sector: Environmental Protection, Wastewater Management, Solid Waste Management, Drainage Management, E-governance.
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Sector: Implementation of ICT based solutions in engineering fields, personnel and payroll management, library management and hotel management.
- Engineering Sector: Process Control, Real-time Simulation of Nuclear Power Plants.
- Due Diligence Assessments in Engineering and ICT industry
Recommended areas of national importance
- Water and Wastewater infrastructure deficit reduction with specific focus on improving public health management and groundwater protection.
- Industrial pollution control through collaboration and harmonisation of regulatory and monitoring processes between the federal and state environmental regulatory agencies.
- Nurturing innovations and emerging technologies and leveraging new technologies to promote industrial development.
- Wireless communications infrastructure should be deployed nationwide, distinct from the public telecommunications networks (e.g. GSMs), for public safety, emergency management and also to enhance telemetry (remote measurements of rainfall and weather data, for example) for effective deployment early warning systems for disaster risk management from national through to the local levels.
- Drone technology for security surveillance, traffic management, public safety and disaster relief, border patrols, agriculture (aerial surveillance of farms and livestock monitoring, disease and pest control), oil and gas pipelines/power generation and distribution monitoring and maintenance.
Dr. Taofeek Oladiran Folami
Dr. Taofeek Oladiran Folami was born in Glasgow, Scotland on 21st August 1962. He attended Adrao International School, Victoria Island, Lagos for his nursery and primary education, and Baptist Academy, Yaba, Lagos for his secondary education before leaving for England in 1978 for further studies.
Dr. Taofeek Folami obtained a BSc Honours Degree in Chemical Engineering from North East London Polytechnic (University of East London) in 1983, a Masters Degree in Process Analysis and Development in 1984 and a Doctorate in Chemical Engineering in 1989, both from the University of Aston in Birmingham, UK. He specialised in the application of advanced control techniques in chemical processes and his work involved modelling and simulation of chemical processes and implementation, by computer (digital) control, of advanced control techniques on a pilot scale distillation process.
On completing his doctorate, Dr. Folami joined the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) in England as a Software Analyst/Engineer. He worked in the industry till 1995, a period during which the CEGB was privatised and he was seconded to Nuclear Electric Plc., one of the 4 companies formed as a result of the privatisation. Nuclear Electric generates electricity from nuclear fission and the company operated about 12 nuclear power stations around the UK.
Dr. Folami was in the Information Systems Department at Nuclear Electric and was involved in key software development projects, which include the development of full scope real-time simulators of nuclear power plants used for training nuclear plant operators and a data management system to facilitate reactor physicists’ functions of analysing nuclear plant data to improve the economic and safety aspects of nuclear plants. He attended various courses specific to the nuclear industry, information technology, software development and project management while at Nuclear Electric.
Returning to Nigeria in 1995, he joined BureauFax Technologies as a Senior Consultant, Software Testing, Documentation and Research & Development, and eventually became the Head of the Software Group with the responsibility for planning and co-ordinating software development strategy. BureauFax Technologies exposed him to the Nigerian banking industry, providing IT solutions particularly in the field of MICR and check processing technology.
Dr. Taofeek Folami currently runs a consulting outfit TOF Engineers & Consulting Limited, with focus on developing Information Technology solutions to small, medium sized and large companies in Nigeria. Besides offering quality advice in ICT and Engineering, TOF Engineers & Consulting Limited’s software solutions include payroll and personnel administration systems, hospital management , hotel management system and case management system all tailored to the specific requirements of the client. Dr. Folami is also a consultant for Raw Material Research and Development Council (RMRDC) specifically on Process Equipment Design and Process Simulation and on Techno-Economic Survey of Raw Materials Usage and Products in the Non-Metallic Minerals Sector. He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers.
He was appointed as Chairman of the Governing Board of the Lagos Waste Management Authority from February 2008 to February 2012.
In July 4th 2011 he was appointed to the Cabinet of Lagos State as the Special Adviser to the Governor on The Environment, specifically charged with Wastewater Management and Environmental Protection, a position he held till May 2015.
Dr. Taofeek Oladiran Folami is married with two children.
Dr. Taofeek Oladiran FOLAMI
Date of Birth: 21 August 1962, Place Of Birth: Glasgow, Scotland; Sex: Male;
Marital Status: Married Address: 56 Femi Ayantuga Crescent, Off Adelabu Street, Surulere, Lagos.
Education and Professional Qualifications
1985 – 1989 University of Aston in Birmingham, UK: Doctor of Philosophy in Chemical Engineering: Application of advanced control techniques to chemical processes. Advanced control schemes were evaluated on a distillation process by computer simulation and on a laboratory scale distillation process by computer control.
1983 – 1984 University of Aston in Birmingham, UK
MSc in Process Analysis and Development
1980 – 1983 North East London Polytechnic (University of East London), UK
B.Sc. Honours in Chemical Engineering
1978 – 1980 Hurtwood House, Holmbury St. Mary’s, Dorking, Surrey, United Kingdom.
O – Levels: Chemistry, A/O Level Mathematics (Additional Mathematics)
A – Levels: Pure Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics
1973 – 1978 Baptist Academy, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria: O Levels
Fellow, Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers (FNSChe).
2015 – Present
Principal Partner, NASNI Consultants Limited, specialising in water and wastewater management and environmental management; Website : www.nasniconsultants.com
2011 – 2015
Special Adviser to the Governor on The Environment (Lagos State)
(Environmental Protection and Wastewater Management)
Key activities supervised
- Revamping of Lagos State government-owned wastewater treatments plants.
- Construction of Odo Iyalaro Wastewater Treatment plant.
- Provision of wastewater treatment plants for all the General Hospitals and new housing estates (Lagos HOMS) in Lagos State
- Onsite Septage Management Framework
- Wastewater Infrastructure Development Plan for Lagos State.
- Outline Business Cases (OBC) for the provision of clustered wastewater treatment major estates across Lagos State.
- Harmonization of Industrial Regulation in Lagos State
- Harmonisation of Lagos State Environmental Laws
Committee responsibilities during tenure include: Chairman, Liveable Cities Committee; Member, Oracle Support Committee; Member, E – Governance Policy Committee; Member, Ebola Research Committee; Chairman, Harmonization of Industrial Regulation Committee; Member, Vehicular Emission Committee; Member, Lagos State Research and Development Committee.
Other initiatives include:
- Research & Development on the design of a household biogas plant
- Decommissioning of Boreholes and Wells in Lagos State
- Initiation of Nuclear Power Project for Lagos State
- Development of Early Warning System
- Environmental Baseline Study
Chairman, Governing Board, Lagos Waste Management Authority
1997 – Present
Principal Partner, TOF Engineers and Consulting Limited; Website: www.tofengineers.com
Information and communications technology solutions
- Software systems designed, developed and deployed software in the following sectors: payroll and personnel management, hotel management, library management, hospital management, schools academic affairs management, blood donations and blood bank inventory management, building projects management and monitoring.
- Key clients include: Nigeria Police Force, Energy Commission of Nigeria, Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority, Legal aid Council of Nigeria, Nigeria Law Reform Commission, National Library of Nigeria, Nigerian Postal Services, National Blood Transfusion Service (Abuja, Kaduna, Lokoja, Maiduguri, Ibadan, Benin, Owerri Zonal Offices), Nigerian Army Command Secondary Schools (Abuja, Jos, Enugu)
- Raw Material Research & Development Council (Federal Ministry of Science & Technology)
- Process Equipment Design and Process Simulation Software Project (2002 – 2012)
- Member, Multidisciplinary Committee to Update Survey Reports on the Ten Industrial Sectors of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria. 2003
- Survey of Research & Development Facilities in Research Institutions, Federal Tertiary institutions and Universities in Nigeria (North West Zone – Zamfara, Sokoto & Kebbi) (2004 to 2005)
- Needs Assessment of Osun State Government relating to Public Finance Management: Consultancy with European Union. 2007.
- Software Development Strategy: Duro Ogboye & Co. (Chartered Accountants), 2002.
1995 – 1997
BureauFax Technologies Limited, 191 Herbert Macaulay Street, Adekunle, Yaba, Lagos
Head of the Software Group: Planning and co-ordinating software development strategy.
1989 – 1995
Nuclear Electric Plc, United Kingdom: Operators of 12 nuclear power plants in the UK
- Real-time computer simulation of nuclear power plants for training nuclear plant operators
- Nuclear reactor data analyses to improve economics and safety aspects of the plants.
- Information and communications technology services delivery experience spans three decades with achievements including authoring several commercially viable software systems in payroll and personnel management, hotel management, hospital management and library management.
- Public Sector experience spans seven (7) years providing wide exposure in Environmental Protection, Wastewater Management and Solid Waste Management in Lagos State as Chairman Governing Board of Lagos Waste Management Authority and Special Adviser to the Governor on The Environment.
- Engineering Systems Analysis, Modelling and Real-time Computer Simulation. Extensive knowledge and experience in the analysis, operation, modelling and simulation of chemical processes and nuclear power systems.
- Good communication and liaison skills with the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Good planning, presentation and monitoring skills.